Sunday, November 23, 2008

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Today started out well enough. I had to repot some plants today, so I bought eight different flowers yesterday, marigolds, begonias, snapdragons, for the girls to plant, too, and keep on the back porch. We had a lot of fun repotting everything.

Rob worked in the garage. He got it all cleaned out and was able to pull the Mercedes in so he can start working on it someday. I'm not sure what he's going to do when we get everything out of storage.

The girls and I got the house pretty much cleaned up, except for a few big piles of clean laundry that now live in my bedroom. The plants look great around the house. I even got a yucca cane potted and put in place by the front door. It's very pretty.

Everything was rosy and pretty and efficient.

Then it was time to clean out the hermit crab tank. I discovered that two of the crabs that had molted died in the process. I'm not sure why. Everything seemed to be going fine. Eve and Sophia helped me put the crabs in one bucket, and the crab stuff (their coconut huts, extra shells, driftwood, etc.) in another bucket. We put the crabs on the table and I put the crab stuff in the pot to boil, since there had been dead crabs in the tank. Then I took the aquarium outside and cleaned it out really well with the hose. When we came back in the house, it smelled like fish. The two pots on the stove were boiling, so I took them over one at a time to the sink and washed everything in them with dish soap to make sure I got rid of the dead crab smell. Well, when I got to the bottom of the second pot, I found one of the crabs. I don't know how, but we put him in the wrong bucket and then into the pot of boiling water. I feel horrible. Rob thought it was kind of funny, but that crab was a pet, and he was actually my favorite one. His name was Nemo. (He's the only one I could keep track of. I knew which one he was even when he switched shells.) So now I'm feeling all guilty and horrible. I didn't pay enough attention for just a few minutes, and I boiled the crab. SOOOO, I'm back to feeling the way I did when I first brought Zoe home from the hospital. Somebody's going to figure out that I'm not qualified to take care of hermit crabs OR kids, and they're going to come take them all away.

Hmmmm. There's a thought.

I know I'm going to have nightmares tonight about boiling pets. Like Alexander would say, it was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! RIP, Nemo.

PS-Keep in mind that only Zoe and Eve know about this, so don't spill the beans to any of the middle or little girls! They'd hate their evil mommy forever. Does this kind of remind you of Fatal Attraction?

No comments:

Post a Comment