Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Next Faulkner


Not just brains, but looks and personality, too. She's the whole package, baby!

Sophia, who just turned ten, is becoming an amazing little writer, thanks, I'm sure, to her predilection for reading. Anyway, this is an anecdote Sophia's fourth grade class was assigned to write as FCAT practice (gotta love the FCAT). The teacher had the principal read the paper, and he asked Sophia to read it on the morning announcements (which is now broadcast to every classroom via television, unlike when I was in school). Without further ado, here is Sophia's beautiful anecdote, without any editing at all.

I looked up. Hovering over us was a cart. Suddenly, it dropped. My stomach tightened. My siblings sqealed. This would be ride of the night. It was Mt. Everest. We got there two minutes later. "Here we go!" He shouted, clamoring into the cart. A second later, I was plunged into darkness, a deep, writhing darkness. Were those eyes over there? I didn't know. We were heading towards a white, blinding light. I blinked. Suddenly, we were sliding into the darkness. When the darkness enveloped me, I lurched forward. I was falling...and suddenly, the ride was over. For Now!

Look at her spelling and use of commas! Notice the verbs and adjectives she uses: hovering, tightened, squealed, clamoring, plunged, writhing, enveloped. Yes, I'm very proud. I'm going to take this to work and show it off to my fellow secondary English teachers. In fact, I can think of a lot of tenth graders who could learn from this. :(

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found us!!! The girls were wondering if your girls were still alive! :o) They will be so glad to get the letter(s).

    Looks like the move has turned out to be a good thing. I'll send an email with our address.

    ReplyDelete